The biggest goals of today's meeting were to work on the chassis and the scoop. Benedict is working on the chassis as I type this. He has two wheels on so far. We haven't made a final design for the scoop, but we do know that it will work to make the scoop out of sheet metal with gaffer's tape on the edge to keep the scoop from destroying the field floor. Veronica worked on the wiring for the for the mini-bot she's been building over the summer. She's pretty sure the program works as well. I think the plan is for her to demo it later today.
The game pieces arrived a few days ago. I spent some time todday figuring out what we could use to pick the glyphs and the relic up. As mentioned above, sheet metal worked best. We added gaffer's tape to make sure we won't destroy the floor.
I taped the relic and JD cut the balance stone. Veronica is thinking about exact designs for the scoop. That's most of what's happened so far this meeting. Benedict is planning on finishing the chassis. Juan Diego is going to put pictures in the notebook. I'm planning on joining Veronica thinking about the scoop. Hopefully we'll have a solid design by the end of the meeting.
At long last! Another post! In case you haven't guessed from the title of this post, a new season has started. I put the game reveal video on the ABOUT FIRST section of the blog, but I'll post it here as well.
The actual game reveal starts at 3:35.
Today is the first meeting after the kickoff. There's been some changes in team members. Jacob, Thomas, and Aaron have all left. The one new member is me. My name is Jane. Last week we assigned team roles. Benedict is Hardware Lead, Juan Diego is Master of the Notebooks, Veronica is Chief Coder, and I'm Social Media Director. Everyone will help build the robot and I'll help Veronica code. None of us went to the kickoff, but we did meet up at Benedict's and my house (we're siblings). Benedict was actually out of town, but JD, Veronica, and I all watched the game reveal and did some brainstorming. Benedict is at this meeting, and we all talked about different plans. We decided to go with a scoop that Benedict thought up.
This was the sketch he drew to explain it. After that we talked about different options for what to attach the scoop to. The three options we were thinking of were an arm, a parallelogram, and drawer slides. We're going with the arm. The parallelogram would have worked best, but it's super complicated and we don't have time for that. Drawer slides aren't stable enough and because of the way the chassis is built it would be hard to pick up glyphs and put them in the crypto boxes. Speaking of the chassis, look how much work Benedict has done!
Sorry that the photo is blurry. We're going to attach wheels (duh) but there's a problem with attaching them because the wheels are made for a different size axle. We're fixing this by getting some plates and getting some parts of some sort made. These haven't arrived yet so we haven't put on the wheels yet.
That's about everything. I'll try to post with weekly updates from the meeting, more if we do something outside of meeting hours.
We are the Droids, and we'll be keeping you updated on our progress.