Our bracket and crater wall sections came today, so I assembled that and we put it on top of a bunch of floor mat sections so we could practice driving with it. Benno drilled a couple holes in the side of our small bookshelf and attached the bracket to it at the right height to mimic the lander. Jane figured out how to solve our coding troubles and has configured the robot! The driving works very well now, which is something to celebrate 😁
So far it looks like we haven't quite figured out how to drive over the chassis wall, but with enough practice we'll be able to solve that problem. Hanging from the bracket is being somewhat troublesome as well, so Benno is trying to fix that using our handy dandy tube of thread locker.
We're hoping that December 9th will be our first qualifier date, which means that we have 44 days left.
The code is working, the robot is driving, it's a good day for our team.
We've decided to try resetting everything we can on the phones to see if that will help our coding troubles, but so far Jane says that it hasn't solved the problems she was hoping it would fix. So now she's figuring out how to erase the SD card as well--if that still doesn't work, we might just have to buy all new phones.
The order for the field parts from AndyMark has now been placed--we're getting a crater wall and the bracket to hang from (buying the entire lander would be $275, which is way too expensive when we can just attach the bracket to something at the proper height and use that as our lander).
Benno and JD are adding the final electronic components to the robot--they're making a space for the battery and putting Velcro on the chassis for the controller to go on.
Our Twitter account is doing well--I checked the 5-second video I had posted there three weeks ago, and it has 167 views, which is great ( :D ). We're steadily gaining more followers, too, which is cool.
We are the Droids, and we'll be keeping you updated on our progress.