There's a local thrift store, called Value Village, that runs a a fundraiser in the form of of a bulk donations drive. You can get paid for bulk donations if you're a 501(c)3 group, which we are. As you've probably guessed, we did this. We collected donations from around our neighborhood and stored them in Benedict's and my garage until the drop off day. When the drop off day rolled around, we rented a moving truck and filled it with the donations in the garage. The night before the drop off, a near by school had had also had a fundraiser that included a white elephant sale. The woman who ran the fundraiser said we could have all the things that weren't sold. After we had loaded the donations from the garage, we drove to the school and picked up all the leftovers from the white elephant sale. We ended up filling up the moving truck almost entirely. All in all we had about 2600 pounds of donations. There was three classes of donations, soft goods (clothes, linens, anything made of cloth really), household goods (kitchen utensils, hard toys, board games, etc), and books (does this really need an explanation?). We ended up making about $250 dollars. So thank you, Value Village!
So very close! We did have a moment of team-wide panic when we realized the most important part of the robot was missing, but we found it. Have no fear, our lego R2-D2 will be able to be on the robot. All is not lost. We have to add him, some magnetic shielding, and the flag holder. We also have to re-center the arm, but that's it!
None of us can wait for it to be finished! On to programming now! Veronica is steadily improving. She learning how to use Enums right now. I'm planning on testing the code I wrote, and this time it will be way easier because I can do it on the robot itself!
Man, we're getting rid of everything, aren't we? We realized that we don't actually need the mini-bot to see if programs work, because we have all the things we need on a sheet of lex-an. As it turns out, we only have one motor controller on it, so we can't properly test the five motors. (Four wheel motors, one arm motor) We're just going to reconfigure it several times and test the parts of the program in batches. But anyway, the mini-bot is no more. The chassis has all four wheels motored now, though! Benedict also added on the main tower.
I did some programming, but I still need to test it. It can (hopefully) move the robot forwards and backwards, strafe left and right, and raise and lower the arm. I talked to Thomas about it, and he gave me some tips to make it run smoother. I haven't figured out all of holonomic drive, so I'll dig through notebooks today to figure it out. I have to figure out how to get it to go diagonally. JD worked on the balance stone, but he didn't have the glue so there was only so far he could get.
We are the Droids, and we'll be keeping you updated on our progress.